Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Deep deep dive into multi-threading and concurrency

I thought I knew a lot about multi-threading and concurrency; I've been building multi-threaded software systems since 1985. I'm quite comfortable with the various threading primitives and common approaches to thread safety, and I can crudely describe the difference between a LoadLocked/StoreConditional architecture and a CompareAndSwap architecture. I've been trying to keep up with the action in thread-aware inflatable thin locks, concurrent garbage collection, and other recent advances.

If the above paragraph more-or-less describes you, you'll find this edited summary of a discussion between Cliff Click and Doug Lea fascinating...

And, now I have a whole long list of new things to go learn about:

  • cardmarks

  • fenceless weak CAS

  • workstealing array spaces

  • park/unpark

No comments:

Post a Comment