Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Google Reader RIP

This news totally took me by surprise: Powering Down Google Reader

We have just announced on the Official Google Blog that we will soon retire Google Reader (the actual date is July 1, 2013). We know Reader has a devoted following who will be very sad to see it go. We’re sad too.

What's doubly surprising is that they aren't replacing Google Reader with something better; they're simply shutting it down.

What was nice for me about Google Reader was its cloud-based behavior: I could use it from my home computer, and from my work computer, and didn't have to worry about synchronizing my usage between the two.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

Meanwhile, I worry: first PicasaWeb, now Google Reader. Will this blog (also hosted by Google) be the next thing they shut down?

1 comment:

  1. Feedly seems to be working on something: http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/google-reader/

    ReplyDelete