Saturday, July 8, 2017

The Girl on the Train: a very short review

As part of my summertime reading binge, I joined the millions who have enjoyed Paula Hawkins's The Girl on the Train.

Hawkins certainly knows how to craft a page-turner, and it's no surprise that her story was not only a runaway bestseller, but also became a successful movie. Entertainment, this is.

But our heroine is a severely mentally ill woman, self-destructive, with an extreme alcohol abuse problem.

And things go downhill from there: other major characters include inept and uncaring local police, a corrupt mental health professional, a lecherous and abusive colleague, etc.

It's a hard thing to finish a 400 page book without finding a single sympathetic character. I wanted the worst for all of them; I simply wanted the book to be over so I could move on.

But, I couldn't put it down.

If you like your entertainment gritty and fast-paced, this is it.

But it sure ain't a very pleasant time on the roller-coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment