Saturday, June 23, 2018

Beauty, and my beholder's eye

I've got other stuff I need to do, and other articles I should be writing.

But I just want to make 3 short points:

  1. I can't get over how much fun it is to watch Xherdan Shaqiri, and obviously I'm not alone: Switzerland’s Xherdan Shaqiri Is a Roomba Made of Lead

  2. For my money, either one of Ahmed Musa's goals over Iceland was beautiful, but together they are certainly the most classically beautiful performance of the tournament so far. Each one is beautiful in its own way:
    1. The first goal is pure technique: look at him in full stride, catching that cross from an equally-speeding Victor Moses, then without pausing delivering that instant volley with power and precision. Oh! Just look at that, again and again and again.
    2. The second goal is astonishing fitness: it's like he's on the field with children, from the moment he sees that glorious pass heading his way, to the final placing of the ball in the net. How can he be SO MUCH FASTER than anyone else on the field like that?!!
    Obviously, I'm not the only one whose jaw still remains solidly on the floor: WATCH: Ahmed Musa's Beautiful Double Gives Nigeria Key Win Over Iceland

  3. Lastly, and this is surely controversial, but it's true: Messi is not the problem with Argentina. Everybody thinks they know what the problem is, but it's not Messi. Messi's play is complex and subtle and hard to understand, and people often jump to conclusions. If you want to understand his play better, try this: Messi Walks Better Than Most Players Run.

    It sure will be sad when he's out of the tournament, though. And that could be in just one more match.

No comments:

Post a Comment