Saturday, March 2, 2024

Bone: a very short review

My holiday gift from my sister-in-law was the marvelous Bone: The Complete Cartoon Epic in One Volume, Jeff Smith's career-defining work.

Bone is quite the gift to receive. It's almost one thousand four hundred pages long, and it's big enough that you can lose your coffee cup behind it. I have to confess: at first it was a little intimidating.

But a nice quiet day happened along, and there it was, waiting for me, and so I dove in.

Well, there went 2.5 months!

Bone is everything you could want from a fantasy epic. It has demons, dragons, monsters and villains galore. It has the lovely Princess Thorn and her force-of-nature grandmother. It has cow races!

But most of all, it has Fone Bone, the most lovable and approachable hero in many a year.

It takes a while to read a 1400 page book, even if it is a graphic novel.

But it was worth every page and I enjoyed it through to the end.

I hope Bone is read for generations to come, it's definitely got staying power.

Confession time: the dragon was the best, but Ted the cricket was superb, and I really liked Roque Ja.

No comments:

Post a Comment