The seven principles are psychological aspects of human behavior which provide vulnerabilities that scammers and other bad guys exploit:
- Distraction: While you are distracted by what retains your interest, hustlers can do anything to you and you won't notice.
- Social Compliance: Society trains people not to question authority. Hustlers exploit this "suspension of suspiciousness" to make you do what they want.
- Herd: Even suspicious marks will let their guard down when everyone next to them appears to share the same risks. Safety in numbers? Not if they're all conspiring against you.
- Dishonesty: Anything illegal that you do will be used against you by the fraudster, making it harder for you to seek help once you realize you've been had.
- Deception: Things and people are not what they seem. Hustlers know how to manipulate you to make you believe that they are.
- Need and Greed: Your needs and desires make you vulnerable. Once hustlers know what you really want, they can easily manipulate you.
- Time: When you are under time pressure to make an important choice, you use a different decision strategy. Hustlers steer you towards a strategy involving less reasoning.
It would be great if the BBC would release the TV show episodes on DVD; I'd really enjoy watching them I think.