Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I am a sucker for lists

I love lists.

I'm not sure why, but I love almost any sort of list, whether it be a checklist, a catalogue, a best-of list, or whatever.

So, without further ado, 3 interesting lists (at least, they were interesting to me):

  • I can pretty much guarantee that you will find something fascinating that you had overlooked before in Conor Friedersdorf's 101 Spectacular Nonfiction Stories
    Each year, I keep a running list of the most exceptional nonfiction that I encounter while publishing my twice-weekly newsletter The Best of Journalism. Along with my curating work for Byliner, this hoovering of great stories affords me the opportunity to read as many impressive narratives as any single person possibly can. The annual result is my Best of Journalism List, now in its fourth year.
  • A rather practical list showed up recently in the OCSC sailing blog: “Rockin” in the free Bay
    we can address the interesting query from a reader about where the ‘hazard to navigation’ rocks are in San Francisco Bay, and which ones sailors should be particularly concerned about. Oddly, this is the first time we’ve ever gotten this question and it took a bit of head scratching to come up with a list, since not all of the ‘hittable’ rocks are noted on charts, and not all notable rocks are hittable. Anyway, here’s what we came up with.
  • And, lastly, the always-fascinating Roger Ebert revisits (for the fifth time) his list of The greatest films of all time
    I decided not to do that--trash the 2002 list and start again. It was too much like a stunt. Lists are ridiculous, but if you're going to vote, you have to play the game.
  • Update: And here's a rather sad list:
    David Griggs died in a car wreck while driving drunk. Rodney Culver died in the crash of ValuJet Flight 592. Doug Miller was struck by lightning. Curtis Whitley died of a drug overdose. Chris Mims died of an enlarged heart, Shawn Lee of cardiac arrest, and Lew Bush of a heart attack. And on Wednesday, 43-year-old Junior Seau became the eighth member of the 1994 San Diego Chargers to pass away before his 45th birthday.

Seen any great lists lately? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment