Wednesday, November 30, 2016

And Carlsen it is

Today was the tie-breaker day, and Magnus Carlsen has retained the World Chess Champion title: Magnus Carlsen defeats Sergey Karjakin to retain World Chess Championship – as it happened.

Before the match, I spent a fair amount of time describing Carlsen's astonishing endurance and ability to sustain his concentration over a six, seven, or even eight hour chess game.

But his skill on shorter time frames is even greater.

And, although Karjakin was every bit Carlsen's equal during the standard time control games, today was all Carlsen.

So we move on. As I said, I don't think anyone is pleased that it had to go to tie breaks, but those are the rules and that's the way the match was organized, it was not a surprise that this was a possibility.

Everybody is going to have their own opinions about the match, but overall I was pleased. It was fun chess to watch, and I can't wait for the next match! (Of course, not everyone shares my opinion.)

No comments:

Post a Comment