I think this is wonderful news, and I'm quite interested in learning more about IDEA and seeing whether a true community forms.
To start, I've begun experimenting with IDEA and Derby:
- I downloaded and installed the new Community Edition IDE on my Ubuntu development machine.
- I enabled several of the core plug-ins, including those for basic Java development, those for Ant support, and several of the source code control plug-ins
- I checked out a fresh copy of the Derby trunk and created a new IDEA project against that source tree.
- I used the Ant support in IDEA to build Derby.
- I defined a configuration to run the Derby "ij" command line tool
- I ran the IDEA debugger, and was able to set breakpoints and step through the Derby source in the debugger.
This was a great first step, and very exciting. Now I'm motivated to learn more about IDEA, and see if it can make me more productive in my Derby work.