Saturday, October 1, 2022

61

I turned 61 this year. Just a funny number. I was born 61 years ago, in 1961.

That year, though of course I don't remember it, Roger Maris hit 61 home runs.

For whatever reason, I didn't realize Roger Maris was a lefty.

61 is a prime number.

A funny number, I say.

One of my very closest friends is named Roger. He, too, was born in 1961.

His parents were living in California at the time, but they were diehard Yankee fans, and so my friend Roger was named after Roger Maris.

Meanwhile, Aaron Judge, a remarkable young baseball player, has hit 61 home runs himself this year.

Aaron Judge is also a Yankee. I had the luck to see him play once, in the new Yankee Stadium (I never went to the old Yankee Stadium).

Roger Maris, tragically, died very young, at age 51, from Lymphoma.

Here's a great picture of Aaron Judge meeting Roger Maris's son after the game.

My friend Roger doesn't really look like Roger Maris, but I'm sure he'd be happy with this picture.

I think it can be possible to root for Aaron Judge and also still root for Roger Maris. Other people agree.

Happy 61, to Aaron, to Roger, to Roger, and to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment