Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Thinking about Bill Walton

I loved watching college basketball games on TV when Bill Walton was on the broadcast team. Not only did he educate me about basketball games, he also educated me about life. That's just how his mind worked. Even if I wasn't terribly interested in the particular game being broadcast, if Bill was on the air I was glued to the screen.

Now, of course, there is no more Pac-12 conference, and as a result I haven't paid much attention to college basketball in a while.

And, worse, now Bill Walton isn't around anymore.

Here's a wonderful article about another side of Bill Walton's life: Bill Walton remembered by Grateful Dead members: ‘Biggest Deadhead in the world’.

It's easy to remember when I saw Bill Walton at shows. It happened at least half a dozen times in my life. Of course, you never needed much assistance to see him, he stood out when he stood up. It was always interesting that he wasn't just sitting in some special VIP area or backstage with the band (though he did those things too); he also just loved coming out into the audience and being with the rest of us.

As Bill the Drummer says, "That was a happy place for him".

No comments:

Post a Comment