Thursday, September 26, 2024

Labyrinth: a very short review

I happened to take a vacation to France, and I was looking for a book to take on the trip. I ended up picking several books, and then the first of those books that I actually started reading was Labyrinth by Kate Mosse.

Mosse's book is 500 pages of summer vacation escapist fun.

And it fit quite nicely into my vacation beause it's set in southern France; more specifically it's set in the region of Occitania. Although my particular trip was to the regions of Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes and Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, these are all adjacent regions and so it's close enough to be enjoyably topical to my trip.

Also, the book uses a simple but effective technique of telling two related stories, one set in 12th century Occitania and the other set in current-day Occitania. And since my trip was full of Bryan Goes Walking Around in Modern Towns Which Have Well-Preserved Medieval Old Town Areas, the book was really a good match.

There's not a lot more to say about Labyrinth. It's romantic historic fiction, with lots of lords and ladies and roughly realistic historical depictions. So I enjoyed it and it made my own wanderings considerably more fun.

Plus I learned a few things, such as what Languedoc means as a place name, and such not. Which was fun too!

Labyrinth is apparently the first book in a trilogy. I'm not sure I actually enjoyed it that much, but who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment