Monday, January 28, 2013

Cloud Computing reading list

Professor Murat Demirbas of SUNY Buffalo, whose blog I regularly follow, is teaching a seminar this spring entitled Cloud computing and distributed systems

In this course we will discuss and study most influential and timely research papers on the topics of cloud computing and scalable & reliable distributed systems.

Professor Demirbas has now posted the reading list for the seminar, and I am extremely impressed with the quality of the readings he has chosen.

These are excellent, fascinating papers, and they are definitely representative of the state of the art in distributed systems research in 2013.

I was already familiar with about 60% of the papers on this list, and I'm now happily digging into the other 40%, and have already hit upon several fascinating reports that were previously unknown to me.

I guess I'm somewhat surprised that Google's Spanner report is not included, nor is Yahoo's Zookeeper report, both of which I consider to be absolute must-reads, but of course with any such list you have to draw the line somewhere, and I'm not sure which papers I'd exclude in order to include the Spanner and Zookeeper works.

I hope Professor Demirbas's seminar goes well; I hope he is lucky enough to have a motivated group of students who dig into these papers and have some great discussions. It would be great to be a fly-on-the-wall during those sessions; I'm sure I'd learn a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment