It's funny, the mental blocks that prevent you from seeing something, even when it's staring you right in the face.
A devoted reader explains:
Accept a mid-October full of hail (5,2)
- Accept: The definition, not part of the cryptic.
- a mid-October full of hail: the cryptic clue.
The cryptic clue is then de-crypted, as follows:
- a: The letter a, part of the solution.
- mid-October: The letter o, part of the solution.
- full of: The words that says it's a container cryptic (we're going to rearrange the parts to put some letters inside of other letters)
- hail: The word greet, part of the solution.
So you have:
a o, full of greet,
- or: a greet o
- which is: agree to
Answer is agree to
Many thanks to my faithful correspondent!